Content Update #2 is coming along nicely! Here is my to-do list:
ability to buy new ships develop boost/engine sounds for new ships
- ability to buy and use attachments
- integrate attachments and new ships into LAN play
third-person fighter view
- add third-person EMP effect
remove online DRM and allow offline mode add short engine thruster contrails for extra cool appearance add volcanic planet from new upcoming missions validor first-person cockpit nausica first-person cockpit cruisers should explode into chunks when dead graphical effect: film grain graphical effect: chromatic aberration
- player request: add mouse pilot sensitivity option
bug: fix an issue with mission warp-in sequence in 3rd-person view
- bug: fix an issue that occurs with empty mission stats
bug: fix warp zoom when colliding with objects bug: fix issue that occurs with laserbolt depth testing
- bug: target leading in 3rd-person view needs tweaking
- bug: fighters can get stuck in cruiser debris
Third-person view and the ability to buy new ships are the features I’m most excited about. I’ve also added some quality-of-life things, such as short engine trails and improved post-processing effects. Cruisers will now also explode into chunks. I should’ve implemented this a long time ago! It makes destroying them so satisfying you’ll need a cigarette afterwards.
Another major feature is actually a removal: I’m removing online DRM! Ultimately, I care more about providing a good experience for legitimate players than foaming at the mouth to viciously defend my creation like a rabid hyena. I don’t want anyone to suffer because they don’t have a good Internet connection! After Content Update #2, Hypergate players won’t need an Internet connection to play. Of course, the leaderboard and other online features won’t work in offline mode until a connection is restored, but this won’t inhibit gameplay at all.
A new interesting feature I’m working on is attachments. These are micro-upgrades that you choose from to enhance specific ship abilities. Each one is upgradeable a total of 4 times, and you can equip only one attachment at a time from the Upgrade Hangar. By choosing the appropriate attachment, you can gain a slight advantage over your unwitting opponents. Here they are:
- Emitter coil: Increase shield strength by a few percent
- Hex wave package: Increase EMP time by a couple of seconds
- Energetics projector: Infuse cannons with some extra damage
- Heat sink: Increase heat dissipation by a few percent
- Afterburner chamber: Increase boost speed by a few percent
- High-energy sensor package: Increase gun and missile locking ranges
I’m optimistically hoping to release Content Update #2 at the end of March. Stay tuned and don’t change that channel!